Have you always wanted to be a lifeguard? Do you want to get paid for hanging around the pool? If you answered “yes”, then now’s your chance to get a head start! Upon completion and passing of the written and skills test you will receive a certification card for Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR and AED which is good for 2 years. Sign up for our Lifeguard Training Class today!
- You must be 15 to take the course or turn 15 by the date of completion.
- Pass the pre-course swim test (requirements are listed below)
- Register and pay for the class before the first scheduled instructional day.
2018 American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
This course will provide participants with a two- year certification in American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED. There must be a minimum of 4 participants to start the course. If the minimum is not met, participants will receive a 24 hour notice of cancellation. (refunds will be processed) The lifeguard manual is a required reference for this course, and can be downloaded from the Red Cross website at no cost. A CPR mask and case is included in the cost of this course.
Requirements for Lifeguard Courses:
Full Lifeguard Course candidates must be 15 years old before the last date of the course which enrolled. Candidates for the full lifeguarding course must pass the pre-course swim test before registration. Call 336-354-1589 ext.307 to schedule a swim test. Participants must pass all three skills in order to register for the class.
1. The candidate must first swim 300 yards continuously consisting demonstrating use of freestyle or breast stroke. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
2. After completing the 300 yard swim, candidates must demonstrate the ability to tread water continuously without the use of their hands or arms (hands must be under candidate’s armpits) for 2 minutes.
3. For the final skill of the pretest, a candidate will enter the water from one end of the pool, swim 20 yards and retrieve a brick from a depth of 7 feet, and return to the entry point on their back carrying the brick on their chest. The candidate must remove the brick from the water and exit the water. This skill must be completed in under 1 minute and 40 seconds.
* YWCA does not issue refunds for classes missed or if a student fails to pass any section of the class—no refunds will be issued within 2 weeks of class dates
2018 American Red Cross Certification Renewal Courses
Candidates must be currently certified in American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. If the candidate’s certification has lapsed more than 30 days by the beginning of the review class, a full lifeguarding course must be taken, these are the guidelines set by the American Red Cross.
* YWCA does not issue refunds for classes missed or if a student fails to pass any section of the class